INGREDIENTS FOR SANDWICHES:
- 1 loaf of French bread (or large Baguette bread), cut into eight 1-inch thick slices of a slight angle
- 16 slices of thin Mozzarella cheese
- 8 (1-inch thick) slices of baked meatloaf (instructions below)
- 1 cup Creamy Rosemary Horseradish Sauce (instructions below)
- 36-48 pieces of various lettuces and green pieces (such as spinach, arugula, fennel tops, leafy lettuce) of your choice
- 4-6 large red radishes cleaned and sliced thin
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 5 tablespoons unsalted sweet butter, at room temperature and divided as 4 tablespoons (1 tablespoon per sandwich) and 1 tablespoon to grease loaf pan for meatloaf
- 4 teaspoons of Organic Rosemary Seasoned Celtic Sea Salt® Blend, divided uses stated within recipe sections below
INGREDIENTS FOR MEATLOAF:
- 1 medium sized fresh tomato, finely diced
- 12 ounces ground lean beef (92% lean / 8% fat)
- 4 ounces ground pork
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 large eggs
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3/4 cup tomato paste, divided uses as 1/4 cup in meatloaf and 1/2 cup in tomato sauce glaze
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 4-6 tablespoons of hot water
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Organic Rosemary Seasoned Celtic Sea Salt® Blend, divided
INGREDIENTS FOR ROSEMARY HORSERADISH SAUCE:
- 2 heaping tablespoons prepared horseradish (plainnot the already mixed kind (in the jar))
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Organic Rosemary Seasoned Celtic Sea Salt® Blend
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a loaf pan (8 1/2 x 4 1/2- inch) with 1 of the tablespoons of the butter. Drain the diced tomato of excess liquid in a strainer while preparing the meatloaf mixture.
Add ground beef, ground pork, rolled oats, eggs, chopped onion, minced garlic, mustard, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, 1/4 cup of the tomato paste, black pepper and 1 teaspoon of salt blend in a medium sized bowl and mix together by hand or fork until evenly blended. Add in the shredded mozzarella cheese and the drained diced tomato and mix again by hand until evenly distributed into the meat mixture.
Place mixture into the greased loaf pan, lightly pressing down and smooth the top with a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon.
Place in the heated oven and cook for 35 minutes or until meat begins to pull away from the inside edge of the loaf pan. Remove from the oven and test for doneness with a meat thermometer by inserting it in the center of the loaf; if it reads at least 155°F, go ahead and take it out of the oven.
While the meatloaf is baking, prepare the Tomato Sauce Glaze by mixing together the 1/2 cup measure of the tomato paste with the ketchup and enough hot water to thin mixture out to a sauce consistency. *You don’t want it too soupy but it should not be too thick. It should be spreadable. The amount of water will vary because of the thickness of the tomato paste and ketchup you use, so use your own judgement. Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt blend.
After draining away any excess fat found in the bottom of the meatloaf pan, pour the prepared Tomato Sauce Glaze over the entire top surface of the meatloaf and return it to the heated oven for approximately 10 minutes longer to heat the sauce through. Remove the loaf pan from the oven and allow the baked and glazed meatloaf to rest for about 10 minutes. Lift out of the loaf pan and slice as needed for these 4 sandwiches. Save any leftover meatloaf for another sandwich or meal. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in a container with a tight fitting lid. While the meatloaf bakes, prepare the remaining components of the sandwiches.
DIRECTIONS FOR THE CREAMY
ROSEMARY HORSERADISH SAUCE:
Place the horseradish, sour cream, pepper and salt blend in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Set aside until ready to build the sandwiches.
STEPS FOR BUILDING THE SALT BLEND
INFUSED MEATLOAF SANDWICHES:
Lightly toast the eight slices of bread without browning deeply in a toaster oven or toaster.
Remove from the toaster oven or toaster and rub each side of the slices of the bread lightly with the raw garlic cloves.
Mix the remaining 4 tablespoons of the softened butter with the remaining 1 teaspoon of the salt blend with the tines of a dinner fork until evenly distributed throughout and then spread the butter mixture across one side of all 8 slices of lightly toasted bread. Cover 4 slices of the bread with 4 overlapping slices of the mozzarella cheese. Place them buttered side down on a preheated flat griddle surface (medium heat) and top with 2 slices of the still warm baked meatloaf, slightly overlapping if needed (depending on the size of the loaf of bread used). This should take no more than 4-5 minutes on a preheated griddle surface.
Place the other four slices of the lightly toasted slices of bread buttered side down on griddle and heat and toast until golden and the cheese begins to melt. Watch these closely to avoid over toasting. You want the bread crisp, but not hard to bite into. Once the bread is toasted to a nice golden hue, remove the meatloaf layered side of the sandwiches to a serving plate. Spread about 1/2 tablespoon full of the Creamy Rosemary Horseradish Sauce on the plain slices of bread (buttered on bottom side)
Dot the tops of the meatloaf layer with a portion of the sliced radishes.
Spoon a heaping tablespoon or more (depended upon your likings of the Creamy Rosemary Horseradish Sauce atop the sliced radish layer.
Pile on a portion of the lettuces (spinach, arugula, fennel tops, leafy lettuce, etc.)
Place the lid of the sandwich it down on top of the meatloaf side.
Garnish with extra lettuce pieces and radishes and a small pinch of the remaining salt blend. Serve and enjoy the adventure!
Makes 4 sandwiches.