- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup Light Grey Celtic Sea Salt®
- 1 gallon organic apple juice or water
- 1 organic chicken, about 6 1/2 pound, giblets reserved for another use
- 4 tablespoons Selina Naturally® Organic Coconut Oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon Bouquet™ Herbes De Provence Celtic Sea Salt®, additional as directed
- 1/2 tablespoon Organic Smoked Applewood Seasoned Celtic Sea Salt® Blend, additional as directed
- 1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 2 Granny smith apples, cored and quartered
- Lemon slices, parsley and minced chives for garnish
- Optional: Chicken gravy recipe to follow.
- In a non-reactive container large enough to hold the chicken, stir and dissolve the salt in the hot water.
- Add apple juice water and stir.
- Rinse the chicken, then submerge it in the brine.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours, the longer the better.
- Position rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 350°F.
- Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels.
- Mix 2 tablespoons coconut oil with 1 tablespoon Bouquet™ Herbes De Provence Celtic Sea Salt® and 1/2 tablespoon Organic Smoked Applewood Seasoned Celtic Sea Salt® Blend.
- Starting at neck end, slide fingers under skin of breast and upper part of legs, loosening skin.
- Rub coconut oil seasoning under the legs and breast skin. Rub the outside of chicken with remaining 1 tablespoon coconut oil.
- Grind Bouquet™ Herbes De Provence Celtic Sea Salt®, about 4 times, inside chicken cavity.
- Place the celery, lemon, apple and onion inside chicken cavity.
- Place the chicken breast down on V-shaped rack in a roasting pan, and roast 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken, breast side up, and roast 60 minutes more.
- Turn up the oven to 400°F for the last 15 minutes.
- Roast until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, away from the bone, registers 160°F.
- Pour juices from chicken cavity into the pan and transfer the chicken to a warmed platter.
- Grind smoked salt blend over breast.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with lemon slices, parsley, and chopped chives.
- Serve with Organic Smoked Applewood Seasoned Celtic Sea Salt® Blend and additional Light Grey Celtic Sea Salt®.
OPTIONAL CHICKEN GRAVY:
Pour the reserved chicken pan juices into a glass measuring cup and skim off the fat. Place the roasting pan on 2 stovetop burners over medium heat. Add the pan juice and 1 cup organic lowsalt chicken broth, 1/2 cup white wine to the pan and deglaze the pan, stirring to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in 2 teaspoons of organic all-purpose flour and 1 tablespoon organic unsalted butter. Simmer and whisk constantly until thickened, about 58 minutes.
Makes 4-6 servings.